Thinking Matters Other Others
The performance lecture "Thinking Matters Other Others – A Translecture" is concerned with the fundamental question of the ability to translate and visualise thought processes. Starting from the everyday object of the table, which Gansterer transforms into a kind of sign-lab and micro-stage, he develops a series of experiments that are recorded live on video and transmitted directly into the performance space. Using shown, drawn and superimposed configurations, the semantic field of the table is investigated as a site of permanent exchange, of negotiation and arranging (oneself): signs, gestures and things all become equal players in a rapid table choreography that successively extends into an auto-poietic space-body diagram interfering with its ad hoc notation.
The fragile choreographic figures stand for Gansterer’s consequent development of a performative grammar and a specific language of the materiality of perception. The performance was firstly performed in the framework of SCORES N°9 (No/Things) taking an expanded view on choreography - also beyond the body, extended to things, materials, to the autonomy of the non-human. How to get matter to speak and which organ to listen to it with? How to reorganise perception? How to assume responsibility for the surroundings that we ourselves shape? How to focus on the way in which things choreograph us?
An adapted and shortened version was performed at the exhibition "Drawing Now 2015" live at Albertina Museum, in Vienna, Austria:
Title: Thinking Matters Other Others
Idea, concept & objects: Nikolaus Gansterer
Choreographic mentoring: Mariella Greil
Photos: Simona Koch
Length: 30-45 min
Adapted versions were performed:
– 2017, in the frame of the performance festival "Bone", Schlachthaus Theater, Bern, Switzerland.
– 2017, in the frame of the exhibition/performance evening "Trajectories #01, Haus am Lützowplatz, Berlin, Germany.
– 2015, in the frame of the exhibition "Drawing Now", Albertina Museum, Vienna, Austria.
– 2015, in the frame of the presentation "Translectures – Open Forum", Kunstnernes Hus, Oslo, Norway.
– 2015, in the frame of the exhibition "From Inner to Outer Shadow", ACF, Istanbul, Turkey.