Mapping the Difference
MAPPING THE DIFFERENCE
The map, a model of abstraction and a guide for orientation is to be extended along an subjective asymptote. Orientated on scientific methods of representation, a unique cartography between ego and geo, between the interior and the exterior, between micro and macro is in a constant stage of development.
During a residency in Damascus I developed a unique cartography. The basic idea is a "Meta.Atlas"consisting of a dense web of maps (See drawings: The DamasQ drawings), in which the phenomenon of being foreign and thus connected thought-processes are to be examined according to the parameters location, area, language.
The direction of reading is constructed in a non-linear way and follows a rhizomatic mode of representation. Interviews, narratives and quotations hereby form the language-based structure. Video and photographic elements are providers in the search for motifs and act as a basis for the re-translation into the drawings. The feedback between the map and its spectator makes the subjective construction of reality visible.
Material/Technique: glas/wall drawings
The project was exhibited at:
– 2002: "Transfer Damaskus", Kunsthalle Projectspace, Vienna, Austria;
– 2002: "Transfer Damaskus", Art Hall Mucsarnok, Budapest, Hungary;
– 2002: "Transfer Damaskus"Beit Barudi Centre, Damascus, Syria;
– 2003: "Mapping II", Mess Hall, Chicago, USA.
– Zenith, No 3/2003, Hamburg, Germany.
– Andreas Spiegl, in: Springerin, No 2, June 2003, Vienna, Austria.
– Die Zeit, No 35 / 21.08.2003, Hamburg, Germany.
– Syria Times, 12.05.2003, Damascus, Syria. (in English)
– Al-Baas, 9. Juni 2003, Damascus, Syria. (in arabic language & with french translation)
– Architektur Aktuell, 6/2003, Vienna, Austria.
– “Diese Energie entfalten wir wohl nur in der Fremde", Christian Reder im Gespräch mit Claus Philipp, Der Standard, 12.04.2003, Vienna, Austria.
– Krone, 11.03.2003, Vienna , Austria.
– ZIB, ORF 2, TV - 10.03.2003, 17:00h