Neon_Z is as well a music instrument as an intervention in space.
Several neon tubes are kept in a state of interruption, permanently flashing on and off, evoking a strong visual experience, which evokes afterimages on the perceivers' retina. To the neon tubes connected are contact-microphones, which generate a polyrhythmic soundscape, thus exploring the interferences between sound and light. The completely darkened room is also labelled with phosphorescent text fragments which are also charging on and off. Text, sound and light build an interlinked, dys/functional system, all together exploring the limits of perception.
Concept and realisation: Nikolaus Gansterer
Thanks for support to Wolfgang Musil / ELAK- Elektroakustisches Institut Wien
Year: 2000 - 2005
Performed and exhibited at:
– Festival Wien Modern, Vienna;
– Sammlung Essl, Klosterneuburg, Austria;
– Moving Patterns, ACF, New York;
– Hearing, Iftaf - Institute for transacoustic research, Vienna;
– Galerie Engelhorn, Vienna;
– Salon Lady Chutney, Vienna;
– Festival 3000rpm, Riesenrad, Vienna
– "Raumzeitpunkte sind Ereignisse / Events are points in Spacetime", Gerald Bast, Brigitte Kowanz (Eds.), University of Apllied Arts, Vienna, 2008. ISBN 978-3-85211-149-0
– "Hearings", various artists, CD, Transacoustic Research, Vienna, (tres 001), 2003.
– "Transacoustic Research", Nikolaus Ganterer, Joerg Piringer (Eds.) Forum Stadtpark/Graz03, 2003. ISBN 3−901109−08−0
– "Emerging Artists", Sammlung Essl, Cat. exhib., edition10, Klosterneuburg, 2001.