Choreo-graphic Figures: Deviations from the Line
CHOREO-GRAPHIC FIGURES: DEVIATIONS FROM THE LINE
Edited by Nikolaus Gansterer, Emma Cocker, Mariella Greil
With artistic research at its heart, Choreo-graphic Figures: Deviations from the Line stages a beyond disciplinary, inter-subjective encounter between the lines of choreography, drawing and writing. Its core focus is to explore those forms of thinking-in-action produced through collaborative exchange, in the slippage and deviation when different modes of practice enter into dialogue, overlap, collide.
The publication is conceived as a studio-laboratory in itself, drawing together critical reflections and experimental practices that focus on the how-ness — the qualitative-processual, aesthetic-epistemological and ethico-empathetic dynamics — within shared artistic exploration, directing attention to an affective realm of forces and intensities existing before, between and beneath the more readable gestures of artistic practice.
Cultivating sensitivity towards the barely perceptible micro-movements within the process of artistic ‘sense-making’ has wider structural — even political — implications at the level of the macro, encouraging the de-, re- and trans-figuring of our ways of being in the world, inviting new forms of relationality, sociality and solidarity. Hybrid of an artists’ book and research compendium, Choreo-graphic Figures: Deviations from the Line invokes action by operating as a score that can be activated by others, providing artists, theorists and creative practitioners with a modular toolkit of performative and notational approaches for future experimental play.
Based on original research and edited by Nikolaus Gansterer, Emma Cocker and Mariella Greil with contributions by Alex Arteaga, Arno Böhler, Christine De Smedt, Catherine de Zegher, Christopher Dell, Gerhard Dirmoser, Karin Harrasser, Adrian Heathfield, Victor Jaschke, Simona Koch, Krassimira Kruschkova, Brandon LaBelle, Erin Manning, Dieter Mersch, Lilia Mestre, Werner Moebius, Alva Noë, Jeanette Pacher, Jörg Piringer, Helmut Ploebst, P.A. Skantze, Andreas Spiegl.
TABLE OF CONTENTS | PROLOGUE | METHOD LAB: A RELATIONAL MILIEU | BECOMING UNDISCIPLINARY (Emma Cocker, Nikolaus Gansterer, Mariella Greil) | UNLINED (Andreas Spiegl) | WHAT IF (Krassimira Kruschkova) | THE THING (Brandon LaBelle) | HOW-NESS | FIGURING >< FIGURE | ELEMENTAL FIGURES: Figure of Clearing and Emptying Out. - Figure of Spiralling Momentum. - Figure of Temporary Closing. (Emma Cocker, Nikolaus Gansterer, Mariella Greil) | FIGURATION / DEFIGURATION (Dieter Mersch) | QUESTIONS (Christine De Smedt) | PRACTICES: Practices of Attention. - Practices of Notation. - Practices of Conversation. - Practices of Wit(h)nessing (Emma Cocker, Nikolaus Gansterer, Mariella Greil et al.) | DELIGHTFUL DRIFTING (Jeanette Pacher) | TAKE ME TO THE BRIDGE (P.A. Skantze) | EMPATHETIC FIGURES: Figure of Vibrating Affinity. - Figure of Wavering Convergence. - Figure of Consonance / Dissonance. (Emma Cocker, Nikolaus Gansterer, Mariella Greil) | SENSORIAL BODIES (Arno Böhler) | TRIALOGUE: ON SEDIMENTATIONS OF SENSITIVITIES (Emma Cocker, Mariella Greil, Adrian Heathfield) | METHOD LAB: POROUS BOUNDARIES | WHEN-NESS (Emma Cocker, Nikolaus Gansterer, Mariella Greil) | RESEARCHING AESTHETICALLY THE ROOTS OF AESTHETICS (Alex Arteaga) | TRANSFORMATIVE FIGURES: Figure of Ventilating Meaning. - Figure of Becoming Material. - Figure of Translational Flux. | PRINT OUT (Jörg Piringer) | DEVIATIONS IN THE SYSTEM OF CULTURAL BOOKKEEPING (Helmut Ploebst) | ASPECTS OF UNDISCIPLINARY LISTENING (Werner Moebius) | THE RIDDLE OF THE SCORE (Karin Harrasser) | SCORE IT! (Lilia Mestre) | WHERE-NESS | EMBODIED DIAGRAMMATICS (Emma Cocker, Nikolaus Gansterer, Mariella Greil) | DIAGRAMS (Nikolaus Gansterer) | TRIALOGUE: THINKING-MAKING IN RELATION (Catherine De Zegher, Nikolaus Gansterer, Erin Manning) | FRAGILE FIGURES (Alva Noë) | MEASURES FOR CREATING SPACE (Gerhard Dirmoser, Christopher Dell) | EPILOGUE: HOW TO PLAY THE SCORE (Emma Cocker, Nikolaus Gansterer, Mariella Greil) | APPENDIX | BIBLIOGRAPHY | BIOGRAPHIES | IMPRINT | ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS | INDEX AND MAP |
Want to look inside?
Download EXTRACT PAGES (PDF) here!
Download SAMPLE PHOTOS (JPG) here!
Download FULL VERSION (PDF) here!
'Choreo-graphic Figures: Deviations from the Line', Nikolaus Gansterer, Emma Cocker, Mariella Greil (Eds.)
Published in the series “Edition Angewandte” by Walter de Gruyter, Berlin/Boston, 2017.
Format: 22.8 x 16.5 cm cm
400 pages with numerous colour images and figs and 3 foldout pages.
Graphic design and book concept: Simona Koch
Translations: David Ender; Mariella Greil
Copy editing: Jeanette Pacher
Cover image: Nikolaus Gansterer
Generously supported by the FWF - Austrian Science Fund through the PEEK-programme.
Order HERE or via your local book dealer!
Public book presentations:
– 29 April 2017, 14:15 – 17:15, at the 8th International Conference on Artistic Research at the Theatre Academy in Helsinki, Finland.
– 5 May 2017,19:00 – 21:00, at the AILab Vienna, Austria.
– 21 May 2017, in the frame work of the inter-symposium "Along Lines", at Nida Art Colony of the Vilnius Academy of Arts, in Lithuania.
– 9 June 2017, in the framework of the symposium "Zeichen Setzen", co-organized by KU Linz & University of Art and Design Linz; & Anton Bruckner University, Linz, Austria.
– 12 August afternoon 2017 in the framework of the ImPulsTanz festival symposium “Life Long Burning – Crisis? What Crisis?!” at Ehemaliges k. und k. Post- und Telegraphenamt, 1070 Vienna, Austria.
– 14 November 2017, 19:00 – 20:30 at the Crossing Borders Talks in the 2017 series at Independent Dance at Siobhan Davies Dance Studios, London, UK
– 8 June 2018, 18:00 – 21:00, at the Salon fuer Aesthetische Experimente, Universität der Künste, Room 101 (Alte Bibliothek), Hardenbergstraße 33, 10623 Berlin, Germany.
– 27 October 2018, 16:00, at WIELS, Contemporary Art Centre, Brussels, Belgium: “Thinking Through Practices”
Keywords: Artistic research; Choreography; Drawing; Embodied Diagrammatics; Experimental Forms of Notation, Writing; How-ness; Now-ness
– "Expanding the Vocabulary", Sabina Holzer, in: Corpus Magazine online (09.11.2017)
– "SAR 2017 – Society for Artistic Research", Helsinki, conference review by Azadeh Fatehrad, in: RUUKKU magazine, online, (22.05.2017)
– "Die Notation des Augenblicks", Scilog magazine, online, (28.08.2017)
– "Noting down the moment", Scilog magazine, online, (28.08.2017)
– "Mit Kunst den wissenschaftlichen Rahmen sprengen" in: Der Standard Spezial, Beate Hausbichler/Tanja Traxler, (17.04.2015)
– Choreo-graphic Figures, in: Angewandte Magazine_Thema International Cooperations Issue 07 / 2015, p.8